Monday, June 6, 2016

Straw Hat and Pull Ups

It's been hot the past two days.  I'm glad I had the foresight to buy an air-conditioner.  (Marked down 50% because it was a left over model for last year.  Oh fie!)  Yesterday it was too damn miserable to do anything; so I didn't.

Today it was about 5 or 7 degrees cooler but still warm enough for Nicki to rejoice in water.  So I took him to the pond off James street.   Surprisingly no one was there.  Even the ducks appeared to be hiding under rushes somewhere.   Nicki had the pond to himself for endless wasser-balling.

I wore my new Panama-Cowboy straw hat which I picked up for $12.00. 

Water-ball time over, I drove to the gym making sure the Jeep got parked in a shady spot with a breeze.   This month, I've changed my routine to a three way split:  (1) chest and back (both free weights and machine); (2) shoulders & triceps (free and machine) and (3) legs and biceps (free and machine.)

There weren't that many people in the gym but for some reason they were extra friendly.  When I had finished my bent over rows (135 lb) and was panting my last, this guy who does 300 lb squats on a BOSU ball (!) comes over and slaps me a high five, saying "I heard you."   As I was getting ready to do my pullups this heavy set severe looking black dude (of the sort Miss Hillary must have had in mind) comes over and asks if I'm finished with the pulleys.  "No, but feel free to work in; I have to rest."  He flashes a smile.  Finally rested I do my pull ups which I've been working on cautiously on account of a potential tendon issue. The  dude turns away but I know he's watching me in the mirrors.  I do 8 and just as I start to fail he turns around and assists with a lift to my shoes.   I thank him and he says, "I wanna be like you when I grow up."

After changing and taking a last sip at the water cooler, a young girl doing seated dumbell work smiles and says, "Nice hat."